A whole lot of my pals have been all in favour of elevating their very own chickens of their suburban areas so I believed I might write a post on the realities of this age-old enterprise. A lot of you recognize that my dad is a farmer and has many hobbies together with elevating chickens. I believed it could be nice to get some perception as to how doable and the way a lot work it’s to lift chickens in a restricted area setting so I requested my dad for some recommendation.
1. What’s the neatest thing about having chickens? It’s enjoyable to assemble the eggs every morning and there’s something about contemporary eggs that tastes lots higher than store-bought.
2. What number of eggs does a typical rooster lay per week? If the rooster is comfortable and effectively fed, it can often lay one egg a day. At the moment, we’ve 15 chickens so we collect about 7 dozen eggs per week.
three. What’s the hardest factor about elevating chickens? Surprisingly, it’s conserving predators away. There are numerous predators of chickens however among the most tenacious ones have been domesticated dogs. Different predators that increase a threat to chickens embrace possums and raccoons who will even tunnel beneath the rooster enclosure chicken enclosure.
four. What do you would like you knew earlier than beginning to increase chickens? It’s undoubtedly an on a regular basis chore, chickens want loads of consideration; you possibly can’t simply up and depart for the weekend, you must hold your eye on them, they want loads of meals and water.
5. What has shocked you about elevating chickens? They want gravel of their gizzards to assist them grind their meals. Chickens haven’t any enamel so it’s essential throw a little bit of gravel of their pinned space in order that they will accumulate it. Additionally, an attention-grabbing reality is you can inform the colour of the eggs by the colour of their ears. Brown eared hens lay brown eggs, white ears produce white eggs.
6. What recommendation are you able to give about elevating chickens? Roosters are in all probability not appropriate for town or a suburban space as a result of they make loads of noise, but when there isn’t a rooster, one hen will tackle the rooster position turning into dominant and protecting over all of the others. Whereas on this position, the hen would not lay eggs.
7. What would it’s essential begin elevating chickens in the event you had very restricted area in your yard? How a lot area is the minimal you would wish? A movable coop is greatest for restricted area; there are lots of plans for them and you should purchase them on-line, some weighing as little as a wheelbarrow. You want not less than 1.5 sq ft per rooster, in the event you had a 7-10 sq ft area you would have about 5 chickens in a movable coop. I might begin out with a minimal of three chickens as they’re fairly sociable and are happier in a bunch. The idea of a movable coop is that it’s mild, transportable, and may be transferred simply round your yard. The difficulty is that any grass chickens are in will flip to grime inside a couple of days as a result of chickens wish to seek for bugs, due to this fact, it’s best to rotate the chickens round your yard in the event you would not have a devoted coop space. Chickens additionally choose to be rotated round and are happier with the change in setting versus the normal mounted coop.